Unsafe Plants for Dogs

News

Let’s take a look at which common holiday plants we need to be sure to keep away from our pets, as ingestion has the potential to cause severe medical issues.

Unsafe Plants:

1. Poinsettia Plants

Can cause vomiting, drooling and diarrhea.

2. Holly and Mistletoe

Can cause intestinal upset, breathing problems, and in great quantities, seizures, and death.

3. Lily

Can cause intestinal upset, kidney failure, and death.

4. Christmas Cactus

Non-toxic but can cause intestinal upset.

5. Christmas Trees

The water at the base of the tree can harbor dangerous bacteria, and even a few licks can cause severe illness. The oil of the tree can cause severe intestinal upset. Ingestion of the needles can cause intestinal upset, obstruction, and perforation.

Do your research

This list is by no means extensive. For a list of all unsafe plants check out the ASPCA Animal Poison Control list here. Any new plant should be carefully researched. It is always better to be more cautious than not, so management is key. Be sure to block off your pet’s access to these plants using baby gates, supervising them carefully when they are loose in the house, putting these plants in rooms where doors are kept securely closed, or potentially not even bringing them into your home at all. The holiday season is an exciting one! Be aware of the risks of the common plants that are often a part of our celebrations so that the joy of the season is not dampened by potential illness of our favorite furry family members.

If you believe that your pet may have ingested a poisonous substance, or if you have any questions, contact your local veterinarian or the APCC 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435. For more information on Poison Prevention check out our blog here.

Share